Sonntag, 18. August 2013

The wine for everyone?

Whenever I have guests I let them try one or another wine. Several tries lead me to the conclusion, that people, who don't drink wine very often, prefer sweeter wines or to phrase it:


The more interest in (and consumption of) wine, the more interest in dryness - the less interest in (and consumption of) wine, the more interest in sweetness.

As a result I know, if someone likes a specific wine or not before I let him or her taste it. But sometimes I try to offer something different, simply to see the reactions. This week two old friends visited me. Two guys, who don't drink (high quality) wines normally. This time I served Barbeito's "10 Anos Malvasia Reserva". To my surprise they loved it. 

Indeed it is a sweet wine (total sugar: 100g/dm³), but the mouth feel is not as sweet as my friends usually like it and not so sweet that I don't like it: not too dry for them; not too sweet for me. The sweetness hits the intersection point between all of us, maybe making it a wine for everyone? 







Barbeito 10 Anos Malvasia Reserva Velha
This Malvasia has been made by the Canteiro method and matured 10 years in old 620-litre French oak casks. Old golden in colour. In the nose intense flavours of vegetables, almond, caramel and fir honey. On the palate good density, depth, intensity and finesse with caramel, almond, walnut and a kind of vanilla. Full bodied, well-balanced and a good finish. Best buy! Drink: 2013-2043.
Rating: 93 points.


Dieser Malvasia wurde nach der Canteiro Methode hergestellt und reifte 10 Jahre in 620 Liter Fässern aus französischer Eiche. Altgoldene Farbe. In der Nase intensive Düfte nach Pflanzen, Mandel, Karamell und Tannenhonig. Im Mund gute Dichte, Tiefe, Intensität und Finesse mit Karamell, Mandel, Walnuss und einer Art Vanille. Voller Körper, gute Balance und ein gutes Finale.

WineInspector-Wertung: 93**



Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen